The history of Riga Technical University dates back to 14 October 1862 with the establishment of the Riga Polytechnic (RP), which was the first multi-branch technical tertiary education establishment in the former Russian Empire. The RP was established following the model of the most progressive technical higher schools of that time. As a private educational establishment it was financially supported by the Baltic nobility. The RP originally incorporated six departments: Engineering, Chemistry, Agriculture, Mechanics, Commerce, and Architecture. Admission was open only tooo male students for a tuition fee, irrespective of nationality, religion or social status. There were no entrance examinations. The language of instruction was German.
The records have kept the name of the first student of the RP – it was Leons Kulbahs, a representative of local landlords from Vidzeme. Until 1896, the Riga Polytechnic has been an alma mater for 4941 student.
<a href=”http://www.rtu.lv/en/”>RIGA TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY</a>
On 19 March 1990, the Riga Technical University got its present name. Since then the University has been successfully reorganising ittts study processes to ensure compliance of academic and professional tertiary education focused on the branches typical for the national economy of Latvia with the requirements of the European Union.
The academic performance of the RTU has received positive evaluation by innnternational experts and the University is accredited by the Tertiary Education Council of the Republic of Latvia. The study programmes offered by the RTU have undergone international expertise and are officially accredited.
To date the RTU comprises 8 faculties: Architecture and Urban Planning, Building and Civil Engineering, Computer Science and Information Technology, Electronics and Telecommunications, Power and Electrical Engineering, Engineering Economics, Materials Science and Applied Chemistry, and Transport and Mechanical Engineering. There are also part-time and correspondence departments. The RTU has affiliations in the largest towns of Latvia – Daugavpils, Liepaja, and Ventspils.